If you have never heard of oil pulling, you are about to get really skeptical of me. But just follow along.
What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is basically using oil as mouthwash and swishing. The most ancient forms (it’s a very, very old practice) use sesame oil. However, I don’t like the taste. I use coconut oil. Get a good quality oil. Find it here.
It is recommended to oil pull when you first wake up. Before brushing your teeth, before coffee, before water and on an empty stomach. I have found 2 reasons to oil pull on an empty stomach:
- Because it makes most people nauseous to do it after eating
- Your mouth produces digestive enzymes after you eat. Oil pulling removes those enzymes. BUT……your stomach also produces digestive enzymes. So as long as you aren’t oil pulling every time after you eat, it’s not going to be a problem.
It’s not horrible if you don’t oil pull on an empty stomach, just highly recommended.
- Get a spoonful of coconut oil and swish for up to 10-20 minutes. I aim for the 10-15 minute mark.
- Spit out in the trash. Very important not to spit down the sink (it will clog your drain). Also very important not to swallow the oil. It will be very toxic.
- After 10-20 minutes, spit in the trash, rinse with water, then swish with warm salt water (regular table salt will do). The salt water helps with any irritations caused from the oil pulling. I actually really like the salt water after oil pulling, it’s very soothing.
- Repeat as often as you want. I oil pull 2-3 times a week.
It is fine if you have to spit out your oil and get a new spoonful during your oil pulling session. I cannot do the full 10-15 minutes on one spoonful. I have to spit it out about every 4-6 minutes and get a new spoonful. It’s just a gag reflex I can’t get past. And I push through this reflex because I see great results.
Oil Pulling Benefits
Results I have experienced:
- Reduced bloating/water weight. When I first started this, I did do it daily for about 3 weeks. By the end of the first week, my husband asked me if I was loosing weight.
- Clear skin. When I go a full week without oil pulling, my face breaks out. Every time.
- A lot less tooth and gum sensitivity. This is GREAT for gum health. So if you have any gum disease, cavities, or oral health problems in general, give this a try.
- More hydrated. I feel more hydrated. Less thirsty. Even in this hot Texas summer.
- Whiter teeth.
- Great hangover cure.
That’s what I have experienced. Here is a list of many illnesses oil pulling can help (either by relieving the symptoms or side effects from the illness, or attacking the illness directly) :
- Mouth & Gum Disease
- Stiff Joints
- High Blood Sugar
- Lung Diseases
- Menopause (hormonal issues)
- Chronic Infections
- Varicose Veins
- High Blood Pressure
- Cracked Heels
- PMS Symptoms
Crazy, right?!?! Honestly, I fully 100% believe it can help on some level with everything on that list. I’ve seen great results. Good luck with it!
Upgrade Your Oil Pulling With Essential Oils
For an added oral health boost, add essential oils to your oil pulling routine. I only use Young Living essential oils (find out why here). I see added benefits when I add these oils to my coconut oil. My personal favorites are lemon or thieves. There are more essential oils that are great for oral health. These are some of the most popular and effective oils.
- Lemon: Whitens teeth
- Peppermint: Freshens breath and fights gingivitis
- Thieves: Great for oral health; attacks bleeding gums, gingivitis, and oral infections
- Frankincense: Eases mouth discomfort and supports gum health
- Melaleuca Alternifolia: Also known as tea tree; Attacks gingivitis and canker sores
- Oregano: Oral infection control
Add 1 drop of essential oil of your choice to your coconut oil. If the taste is too strong, you can dilute it. Add 1-3 drops of essential oil to 3-6 tablespoons of coconut oil. Store in a small glass container and use as needed.
After I oil pull, I drink my morning detox drink.
Need more proof & info?? Here’s a recommended reading list:
- Oil Pulling 101 by Mix Wellness
- Got Plaque? by The Nourished Life
- Oil Pulling by Oh Lardy
- Oil Pulling: A How to Guide by 20 Something Allergies
- How I Stopped Morning Sickness by Oil Pulling by Green Thickies
- Oil Pulling by Thrive Style
- Oil Pulling by Loula Natural
- How I’m Healing Cavities Without Dentistry by The Paleo Mama
- Does Oil Pulling Work by Our Small Hours
- Detox While Breastfeeding by Eat Naked
- Effective Ways to Improve Oral Health Naturally by Yogi Mami