Colloidal silver is a controversial home remedy that is a staple in my house. I keep it handy in my holistic toolbox and use it often for a lot of things. It's available in a gel and a liquid. I keep both handy for different applications & uses.
What is Colloidal Silver?
Colloidal silver is a suspension of tiny silver particles in a liquid base, typically water. These particles are so small that they can remain suspended rather than sinking to the bottom like larger particles would. This stability allows the silver ions to disperse evenly throughout the liquid, maximizing their effectiveness.
This ancient remedy has many benefits including:
- By reducing inflammation in the body, colloidal silver can help alleviate symptoms of various health conditions.
- May help combat free radicals, reducing oxidative stress & supporting overall cellular health.
- May help fight acne-causing bacteria & promote a clear complexion.
Colloidal silver was widely used by physicians until the 1940s when modern antibiotics were developed. Physicians made colloidal silver in small batches in their offices and the ease of antibiotics was definitely appealing.
In the 1990s, there was a resurgence of colloidal silver and it became a popular dietary supplement.
In 1999, the FDA banned colloidal silver manufacturers from making any therapeutic, preventative, or health claims. The FDA has a history of doing this for many natural, holistic, and plant based ancient remedies even when there are studies and historical data to back up the claims. Which is not a problem -- I can make health decisions for my family based on my personal experiences with a product. And I have had great results with colloidal silver.
Some claim that colloidal silver can turn your skin grey, a condition called argyria. This condition is most common among people that work in silver manufacturing. But it has also occurred with people that have ingest too much colloidal silver. The amount of silver you have to ingest to cause argyria is a lot. The most reported case was a man that ingested 10 oz of colloidal silver for several years (source). That's a lot of silver! For my family, we only use colloidal silver as needed and that's typically for a short amount of time (3-7 days) every 2-3 months. That's no where near 10 oz / day!
Learn more about my holistic tool kit here:
- Listen to your skin's feedback when used topically. If you experience any irritation or adverse reactions, discontinue use and consult with a dermatologist or healthcare provider. It's always better to err on the side of caution and prioritize your skin's health and well-being.
- Always consult your healthcare professional.
- It's important to choose a reliable source for your colloidal silver. Look for a reputable brand that uses high-quality and pure ingredients. Reading reviews and seeking recommendations from trusted sources can also guide you in finding a reliable product. I use this brand.
- Colloidal silver should not be used for extended period of times. Use only as needed.
- Follow the product dosage and usage instructions.
- Colloidal silver should not be used as a replacement for other skin & health care products and medication.
Learn more about my holistic toolkit here.
How to Use Colloidal Silver
Topical Uses for Colloidal Silver
- For topical use, I use this gel
- Apply the gel on clean, dry skin as needed up to several times a day (or follow product instructions)
- I use the gel on:
- bug bites
- acne & blemishes
- My skin loves the anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial benefits
- nail infections
- For topical use, I use this gel
Supplement Uses for Colloidal Silver
- For supplement use, I use the liquid with a dropper
- I use this liquid for: