If you have never heard of oil pulling, you are about to get really skeptical of me. But just follow along and hang with me for a minute ;-)
What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is basically using oil as mouthwash, swishing, and then spitting out. The most ancient forms (it's a very, very old practice) use sesame oil. However, I don't like the taste. I use this coconut oil.
It's recommended to oil pull when you first wake up. Before brushing your teeth, before coffee, before water, and on an empty stomach. It's not horrible if you eat or drink first, it's just a friendly recommendation. I have found 2 reasons to oil pull on an empty stomach:
- Because it makes some people nauseous to do it after eating
- Your mouth produces digestive enzymes after you eat. Oil pulling removes those enzymes. BUT......your stomach also produces digestive enzymes. So as long as you aren't oil pulling every time after you eat, it's not going to be a problem.
Benefits of Oil Pulling
Coconut oil contains lauric acid that kills bacteria and viruses (source). Oil pulling has a lot of benefits. Here are some of them (source, source, source):
- Detoxing & cleansing
- Support mouth & gum health
- Reduce Inflammation
- Promote clear & healthy skin
- Immune boost
- Increase energy
- Reduce PMS symptoms
- Reduce head tension
- Improve digestion
- Hangover relief
My Experience & Results
Results I experienced:
- Reduced bloating/water weight. When I first started this, I did do it daily for about 3 weeks. By the end of the first week, my husband asked me if I was loosing weight.
- Clear skin. When I go a full week without oil pulling, I get blemishes on my face. Every time.
- A lot less tooth and gum sensitivity.
- More hydrated. I feel more hydrated. Less thirsty. Even in this hot Texas summer.
- Whiter teeth.
- Great hangover relief!
How To Oil Pull
- Get a spoonful of coconut oil and swish for 5-20 minutes. I aim for the 10-15 minute mark.
- Optional additions to the coconut oil:
- A pinch of turmeric
- A pinch of activated charcoal
- Activated charcoal has been shown to whiten teeth.
- Essential Oils: Freshen breath and have been used for centuries for oral health. Add 1-2 drops of your favorite essential oil. My favorites:
- A dropper of Minerals
- Spit out in the trash. Very important not to spit down the sink (it could clog your drain). Also very important not to swallow the oil. Oil pulling is a detox so you don't wanna swallow it.
- Rinse with water, then swish with warm salt water. Use a mineral rich sea salt. The salt water is soothing and remineralizing.
- Brush your teeth after to remove all toxins and coconut oil.
- Oil pull once a day as often as desired.
FAQ About Oil Pulling
- What if I can't do it for 5-20 minutes?
- It is fine if you have to spit out your oil and get a new spoonful during your oil pulling session. I started with just a couple minutes at a time and was able to increase my stamina to 10+ minutes within a few weeks.
- Can I oil pull while pregnant?
- I did!
- Is this safe for kids?
- Yep! As long as they don't swallow the coconut oil.