I stopped using shampoo in February, 2013. It is now March, 2014. I have not used shampoo at all over this last year. Read more about no poo (as in no shamPOO) here. Here is an update for my one year anniversary.
The No Poo Method
I use the no poo method. I shampoo my hair with baking soda (you want a good quality one, find out what to look for here) condition with apple cider vinegar (raw & unfiltered, find out more here). I do that every 3-5 days. Over the last year, it has become more manageable, less frizzy, grows MUCH faster, is shinier, and very healthy. Here’s everything I use for my hair:
- Baking soda (as shampoo) – I use about 1-2 tablespoons per wash. I rub the baking soda on my wet scalp, then rinse.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (as conditioner) – I dilute about 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I spray a handful of times on my hair (root to end) and let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse.
- Argan Oil – Find out more about argan oil here. I use this as a hair serum for shine and anti-frizz. I drop 2-3 drops in my hands, rub my hands together, then rub through my hair. I usually do this just once in between washes on the day that I wash my hair. I normally don’t need it again after the first day.
- Hair Spray – I normally only use hair spray when I have my hair up. When I use it, I use this one.
- Blow Dryer – I blow dry my hair about half the time after I wash it. The other half of the time I let it air dry.
- Curling Iron – When I curl my hair, I use this AMAZING curling iron. I LOVE it.
- When I pin big chunks of hair back (like in a low pinned back ponytail) or when I have it in a messy bun, I use these amazing hair pins.
Why No Poo?
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has a database rating the toxicity of over 71,000 personal care products. A rating of 0 is nontoxic. A rating of 10 is very toxic. Here’s a peek at a few popular shampoo brands:
- Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Shampoo, Rating = 5
- Head & Shoulders Men Extra Strength Dandruff Shampoo, Rating = 6
- Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo, Rating = 5
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo Orchid & Coconut Milk, Rating = 5
- Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Shampoo, Rating = 5
- Aussie Moist Shampoo, Rating = 5
- TRESemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Shampoo, Rating = 6
- Dove Moisturizing Shampoo, for Dry or Damaged Hair, Intense Moisture, Rating = 5
- L’Oreal Everpure Volume Shampoo, Rating = 8
- Aveeno Active Naturals Nourish & Shine Shampoo, Rating = 5
- John Frieda Root Awakening Normal Hair Shampoo, Rating = 7
All of the above have the following concerns:
- Skin, lung, or eye irritation
- Cancer (This is under low risk for all of them. But I’d rather have NO RISK than a low risk of cancer.)
- Organ system toxicity
And here are the ratings for baking soda and vinegar:
Check out my no poo website!
No Poo Pictures
Here’s a peek at what I look like after one year of no shampoo. Each round starts after I wash my hair (i.e. for round 1, I went 4 days before washing again; round 2 was 3 days, etc.).
- The No Poo Method
- No Poo Method – Good Girl Gone Green
- No Poo FAQ – Reformation Acres
- I Don’t Use Shampoo – The Paleo Mama
- Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse – Natural Family Today
- The Secret to Beautiful Hair – La Healthy Living
- The Ultimate Natural Hair Care Directory – It’s a Love / Love Thing
- Victorian Shampoo Alternatives – Our Heritage of Health