I stopped using shampoo 1 year ago.
No, I don't stink. Yes, my hair is clean. Yes, my hair is healthy. ;-)
What is the No Poo Method?
"No poo" simply means that I don't use commercial shampoo.
Natural, nourishing, healthy ingredients are what make natural, nourished, healthy hair.
The idea that your hair needs chemicals to be healthy is crazy! And frankly, the commercial shampoo marketers are genius to convince us of that.
Why No Poo?
- There are an average of 15 toxic chemicals in a bottle of commercial shampoo. These chemicals have been linked to cancer, allergies, fertility problems, autoimmune disorders, and hormonal disturbances.
- Commercial shampoo as we know it wasn’t first used until the early 1930s. Before that, everyone used the no poo method.
- The No Poo Method works with the oil your hair naturally produces instead of working against those oils.
- People that use The No Poo Method use fewer products, spend less time styling, and go longer between washes.
- The cost savings are huge! The No Poo Method uses inexpensive, easy to find ingredients.
My No Poo Routine:
For the last year, I've been using baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar to condition. I use the no poo method.
It has become more manageable, less frizzy, grows MUCH faster, is shinier, and very healthy.
I started by washing every 3-5 days and using dry shampoo in between washes. Over time I was able to increase that to 2-3 weeks between washes. There is a transition period as your hair detoxes the ingredients from chemical / synthetic / commercial shampoo. My transition period took about 3 months. Three months of greasy hair and bad hair days. And it was totally worth it! I'm loving my no poo results now.
Here's everything I've used on my hair this year:
- Baking soda (as shampoo) – I use about a tablespoon per wash. I make a paste in my palm with water, massage on my scalp, rinse. I use this baking soda - find out why here.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (as conditioner) – I dilute apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle; about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per cup of water. I spray a handful of times on my hair (root to end) and let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse. I use this apple cider vinegar - find out why here.
- Argan Oil – Find out more about argan oil here. I use this as a hair serum for shine and anti-frizz. I drop 2-3 drops in my hands, rub my hands together, then rub through my hair. I use this as needed.
- Dry Shampoo - Dry shampoo is a powder that absorbs the oils from your hair & scalp and adds texture giving limp hair more volume. Learn how to make it here.
- Deep Conditioner - once or twice a month I do a deep conditioner before I wash. My favorites are bentonite clay or coconut oil. Learn about deep conditioning here and how to get coconut oil out of your hair here..
- Essential Oils - I add essential oils to all my DIY recipes. Learn more about what oils to use here.
- Hairspray – I rarely use hairspray but when I do I use this one.
- Blow Dryer – I prefer to let my hair air dry but sometimes that's not possible. I like this hair dryer.
Pictures of My No Poo Hair
These are pictures I took over the last year during my 1st year of no poo. All unfiltered.
The transition / detox period into no poo can be rough depending on your hair, the products you currently using, and your patience.
But it's worth it if you can make it through the transition and into the world of no poo!
Note: While I love hearing from you! It's extremely difficult for me to troubleshoot via email. If you need troubleshooting help, I highly recommend joining this facebook group with over 40,000 no poo-ers and ask there.