I use this anytime anyone in my house even thinks about sniffling, coughing, or sneezing. It’s great for preventative care (like when a virus is going around your child’s school) & kills the bacteria once it’s in your house. Next time you feel like you’re coming down with something (cold, flu, allergies, sinus infection, anything really), give this a try.
Why GOOT (Garlic Oil Ointment Treatment) Works
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid that kills bacteria and viruses.
- Garlic has natural antibacterial, antiviral, & antifungal properties and is a decongestant. Rubbing this ointment on your skin transfers raw garlic directly to your bloodstream.
How to Make GOOT (Garlic Oil Ointment Treatment)
Warning: This ointment does smell like garlic. It is stinky!! But it works. I would advise not using it before going out in public.
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 6 Peeled Garlic Cloves
- Process all ingredients in a food processor. Melt your coconut oil on the stove over low heat slightly if needed. Process until a smooth salve / ointment.
- Store in a glass jar.
- Store in the fridge for up to 6 months. Let come to room temperature when you need to use it. You can leave it out at room temperature while using for 2-3 days, then return to the fridge for long term storage.
- Rub on feet (then cover with socks) and chest. Works for babies, children, and adults.
Other homemade garlic remedies to try:
- Garlic salve for coughs & colds – Elliot Homestead
- Natural salve – Real Food RN
- Onion, garlic, & ginger cough syrup – Small Footprint Family
- Make your own GOOT – Life Sanity
- Garlic oil for ear aches – Natural Family Today
Sources & Studies