Argan oil isn't called "the gold of Morocco" for nothing! It's fantastic for skin and hair. The argan fruit grows on the argan tree in Morocco. The fruit has a peel which has a nut-like hard shell. Lots of work to get to the magical fruit. Even the Moroccan goats climb the trees to eat this magical nut.
Here's a cute video of goats grazing on some argan trees. I bet they have the shiniest hair ever!
Benefits of Argan Oil
- Argan oil is full of vitamin E & antioxidants, which are awesome for treating & preventing acne, anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, anti-inflammatory, and reduces under eye circles.
- Argan oil is very moisturizing. It's prevents dry, brittle nails, and dry scalp. It moisturizes your skin, your hair, and your nails.
- Argan oil full of essential fatty acids. This will keep your skin elastic, preventing aging and wrinkles.
- Argan oil promotes hair growth and mends split ends.
- Argan oil is a dry, lightweight oil. So it's not as "greasy" as other oils like coconut oil.
- Studies: 1, 2, 3, 4
What Kind of Argan Oil to Buy
There are lots of fakes out there. This is what you need to look for:
- The ingredient should be argania spinosa or argan oil
I like this one.
How To Use Argan Oil For Your Hair
You can use argan oil to moisturize your hair, promote hair growth, support a healthy scalp, and heal split ends. Argan oil is great for all hair types including color treated hair.
Not only does it add shine, argan oil can work as an anti-frizz serum.
- Add argan oil to your diy deep conditioner. Learn how to make a custom deep conditioner for your hair here.
- Put about 5-10 drops of argan oil in your palm. Rub your palms together and apply to the ends of your hair for an anti-frizz & extra shine hair serum.
- For additional healthy hair & scalp support, add about 30 drops of essential oils to your argan oil bottle. You can use any essential oils you like and mix & match them in any combo. Essential oils that hair loves include:
- Lavender (soothing)
- Cedarwood (healthy scalp and promotes hair growth)
- Peppermint (healthy scalp and promotes hair growth)
- Rosemary (healthy scalp and promotes hair growth)
- Clary Sage
- Ylang ylang
- Sandalwood (promotes hair growth)
- Lemon (photosensitive, if you have sun sensitive skin or plan on being in the sun, don't use lemon)
- Purification (my favorite essential oil ever!)
- Tea Tree (healthy scalp)
How To Use Argan Oil For Your Skin
I use argan oil as my moisturizer on my face and apply it night & day. Just one or two drops is all you need. Argan oil is a lightweight oil and my skin soaks it up beautifully without leaving a greasy residue. After I apply it during the day, I let it sit at least 5 minutes before applying makeup. If needed, I wipe my face with a dry washcloth to remove any residual argan oil. If it's too oily for your skin to use during the day, you will still experience benefits using it as a nighttime moisturizer.
For added skin health and glow, add about 30 drops of essential oils to your argan oil bottle. Bonus:: Many of the same essential oils that your hair loves, your skin loves, too! You can use the same essential oils you used for your hair, add a couple of these essential oils to your argan bottle, or have 2 different argan oil bottles with different essential oil combos -- 1 for hair and 1 for skin. Here are a few additional essential oils that your face will love:
Bonus Tip: Argan Oil for Eyelashes!
Get a free copy of The Beauty Remix!
If you love this recipe & want more like it, click here to get a free copy of my eBook The Beauty Remix! Loaded with DIY recipes you'll love!