- Peel the garlic, leave the cloves whole.
- Put the kefir grains in the bottom of the jar.
- Add the garlic to the jar.
- Add the salt to the jar.
- Cover with water. Leave 1-2 inches at the top of the jar empty. VERY IMPORTANT.
- Put the lid on the jar. Leave at room temperature for 48-72 hours. Store in the refrigerator and use within 6 months.
- Use the garlic in cooking just as you would raw garlic.
- This fermentation process using grains will produce a natural carbonation. This is why you need to leave space at the top of the jar. If your ferment gets too bubbly, the jar could explode.
- You can leave your grains in the jar when you store them. When you make kefir, you can reuse your grains. The grains are not reusable after this fermentation process.